Friday, November 16, 2012

DAY 23 MON. OCT. 22 BANOS - RIOBAMBA

I couldn't rouse myself early enough for thehot springs, nor would my bowels allow me to go to the observation point (Lou said it was good ! ) so I laid low for the morning in the hotel. I felt better for a walkabout where I purchased more Immodium, my drug of choice.

The afternoon bus ride took us back to the Andes and a rare treat. Chimboroazo, the "lord of the snow", was visible in all its immense majesty. What an impressive mountain! Pablo informed us that it is rare to see it without cloud. Stunning !!

We arrived in Riobamba, a large city struggling to get back on its feet. Like Havanna, Cuba, Riobamba has several magnificent buildings in a neo-colonial style now crumbling in empty disappointing squallor. There is a push to restore it, but the effort is only starting and is sporadic at best. Too bad, there is much potential for wonderful architecture here. Riobamba holds a special place in Ecuadorean hearts, as it was here that Independence was declared from the Spanish in 1820. Many tumultuous years intervened, but it should be regarded in the same reverence as places such as Boston and Philadelphia in the United States, Paris in France, and even places like Quebec or Batoche in Canada. People need a place to hold in respect as the birthplace of a nation: Riobamba is such a place in Ecuador. Future restoration will bring this city back to its place of prominence in Ecuadorean heats and minds.

 We are nicely ensconced in a modern hacienda-style hotel where my bowels will be given a chance to cool off !!

No comments:

Post a Comment